It seems like everyone either has or wants a website. For the latter group–those who don’t have a web site–it might seem like a daunting task, to start one especially here in Nigeria where people don’t have much knowledge of what is happening online. I’ve seen people who walk into a cafe to ask how much it cost to own an email or a Facebook account -that’s “backwardness” as found in our system. It’s funny to think owning an email is a great deal, same is applicable to owning a website or worst of all a self hosted blog.
Starting a website can be very simple and cheap.
This tutorial will teach you how to create your own website and even turn website design to a fertile business that can fetch you as much as N150,000 or more monthly. That is what BusinessMODE is all about -empowering young persons who are willing.
Let’s go there 🙂
There are essentially just three main components to website development:
1. Domain name
2. Web Hosting
3. The Website Code/Design
Let’s cover each of these components and break them down with simple explanations and how they tie into one another.
A domain name is usually a .com, .net, or .org address that visitors use to view your website on the web. The most popular top level domain (TLD) is the .com extension. Domain names are typically sold annually, so when you register a domain name, you have it for one year with the first option to renew it, unless you purchase multiple years up front. When starting a website, it’s important to find a good domain name that represents your brand or business. Read more about what you need to put into consideration before starting your website project HERE.
The domain name is much like an entry in a phone book. Computers communicate by using numbers, called IP addresses, to contact each other, much like you use a phone number to dial a specific person’s phone. If you want people to find your business’s phone number, you want to be listed in a phone book. The phone book tells people looking for your phone number “Company A’s Phone number is xxx- xxx-xxxx” just as a domain tells people (i.e. their computers) “domainA.com is hosted on the server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx” Without the domain, you would have to tell your customers “Hey my site is located at 123.456.789.123/~mysite/” instead of “mysite.com” You can see how, without a domain, having a site or hosting is impractical.
After you have a domain name registered, the next step is to get a web hosting package. At BusinessMODE, we recommend signing up with a less expensive shared hosting plans (for a few dollars a month) and then upgrade later if you need it. An exception to this would be if you need custom software or packages (such as live video streaming) that aren’t offered in a shared hosting environment. In thise case, a VPS or Dedicated Server might be a better option. If you’re still not sure which web hosting plan to choose, we recommend reading about the Different Types of Web Hosting plans.
The web-hosting or server portion is much like the space that you rent out to have your business in. It’s merely the space itself. It does not include furnishings like shelves for your products, just as the web-hosting account doesn’t include a site for you to sell your products.
Luckily, in the web-hosting world, it’s very easy to furnish the space provided by your host, because you can install many framework applications through the Fantastico icon within your cPanel. Without the hosting services, you won’t have a place for your files to reside, so your domain would then become like a disconnected phone number in the phone directory, and your site files would have nowhere to stay.
There are quite a number of hosting companies out there including those run by Nigerians like BhlueDomains. But for convenience, we recommend HostGator for your hosting plan.
Your domain name gets “pointed” to your web hosting account by changing the name servers for that domain name. Once that’s been updated, anyone going to your domain name will be viewing the website hosted at your web hosting provider. Web hosting providers like HostGator, provide a control panel to make it easy to administer your website.
Here’s a coupon code for a whopping 25% discount DAhaRuwy4f instead of 20% offered by the company. On the alternative, you can use a1b9l8a1ku to get a $9.94 discount. Just copy and paste when asked for as you register your domain. Click HERE to get your discount.
The Website Code/Design
There are many ways to make a website. website is usually a file that is coded with HTML, and contains image and video elements. It’s possible to create a website using just a text editor like Notepad, but for beginners it’s usually best to use software geared for web development. You can download free software for creating a website such as KompoZer, but since we are hosting with HostGator, we will use one of their free sitebuilder -weebly.
Programming languages like PHP, Ruby, Python, Perl, and ASP.net can also be used to create dynamic web sites. Fortunately there are many different open-source and free web-based software applications based around these languages that don’t require much programming experience to use, such as WordPress, Drupal , and Joomla, to name a few.
If you choose not to use the hosted site builder, provided by HostGator, you can create and edit your web site locally. Once the website is completed, you can then upload your webpages through FTP to your web hosting account so that it’s visible on the web to anyone who goes to your domain name.
The site files are what your visitors and potential customers actually see – your products and services. The site files are the same as any other file you normally use, like a .jpg photograph, or .mp3 music file. Though, website files are also .php files or .html files, which are PHP scripts or html pages respectively. The web host (server) knows how to read these files, which explain how the webpage looks or instruct it to do a series of computations. These computations are things like figuring out what blog article it’s supposed to send back to the viewer, or what forum post it’s supposed to send back.
In summary, you have a site visitor, who goes to your domain name, which translates into your server IP address, then the server sends that user your site files, which their browser represents to them as a typical “web-page.” You can see that, without each of these 3 elements, you won’t really have a “web-site.”
———————–HERE WE GO—————————
To start with your hosting, click on the HostGator barnner below.
Below is the screen shot of what you will see when there. Select a plan as seen below. We always recommend the baby plan because it gives you room to add more domains without paying for a fresh hosting. so with one hosting, you can have as many as websites as you want. It goes for about $6.36, but remember you can get 25% discount by using the coupon code I showed you. To proceed, click on the Order Now button as marked on the screen shot below.
* Start by filling the domain name you wish to use in the space where it reads “Enter Your Domain Here:” then select if you want a .com, .net, .org, .biz or whatever suffix you want to use.
* Choose the Package Type (baby is what we recommend)
* Choose the duration you want for the hosting (the longer the duration, the cheaper the price)
*Fill in the billing information and other details.
* Put in the coupon code DAhaRuwy4f then validate to get a 25% discount
*Scroll down to where it reads “Please review the order details below:” check to see if the COUPON CODE is reading DAhaRuwy4f 25% with the total discounted amount reading on the other side.
* Click in the box to confirm that you read and agree with their terms and conditions
*Click create account and you are cool.
—–YOU ARE GOOD TO GO—–
Save the password in a secured place the move on with your design.
search for Base Kit Site Builders on the cPanel then select Weebly to be installed. You can choose to go to Weebly directly to fill in the details required and that’s all. Click on the Weebly banner below to got to their website.
The Weebly website builder is a WYSIWYG website construction tool which will aid you in creating and publishing an attractive website in no time!
With Weebly, you can drag and drop elements from the toolbar directly to your page, making the website building process as seamless as possible. Here are some of the things you can do with Weebly:
- Create and organize your web pages
- Enrich your site with creative content layouts that allow you to add:
- RSS feed reader
- Contact forms
- Share interactive multimedia elements like:
- Google Maps
- Photo galleries
- Enhance your site with a customizable theme
- Plus much more!
While the basic version of Weebly has everything you need to get your site up and running, premium features are available to help you take your site to the next level. You can add these features at any time by clicking on them in Weebly.
Premium features include:
- E-commerce upgrade which allows you to add revenue-building tools to your pages
- Additional multimedia elements such as file downloads, audio player and embedded documents
- Custom favicon
- Site password protection
To learn more about Weebly’s advanced settings and premium features, please see:
Weebly Site Builder Tutorial and Walkthrough Part 1
You can create a fantastic website using the Weebly website builder. In the following tutorial, we will show you how to get started with your website by choosing a theme, customizing your layout, setting up text and uploading images.
To get started creating your website:
1. In the Design tab, choose a theme that closely represents the type of layout and color scheme you wish to have on your website. 2. After selecting a theme, modify the default image: a. On the default image, click Edit Image. b. From the toolbar, click Add Image to use a different image from the library of free images or to upload your own. c. Edit the image as you wish and click Save. d. From the toolbar, click Add Text to place text over the image. 3. Change the website title bar. Select Off to remove the title bar; Text to type a title; or Logo to use an image. When on, the title bar will appear on all pages. Change the site title in the Settings Tab. 4. In the Pages Tab, you can give the page a fitting name and add more pages if you’d like. Click Save Settings > Edit Page to save and return to the page you’re working on. 5. Create content on your page by using the Picture with Paragraph element. Upload an image from your computer which matches your text content. You can add links, by highlighting text and clicking the link button in the toolbar. You can add additional titles, paragraph or images to your page by dragging and dropping them from the toolbar.
Weebly Site Builder Tutorial and Walkthrough Part 2
Now that you have taken your first step toward building a website with Weebly, you will want to enhance the site by adding some multimedia features and maybe another page or two.
To learn how to add multimedia features and new pages to your Weebly website, follow along with the video above or the steps below. For more detailed instructions, click on any of the links in the steps below.
1. Add a new page from the pages tab to use as a gallery. Click Edit Page to start making changes. 2. Drag and drop a Paragraph with Title from the Elements tab onto your page. Add content to the paragraph to describe your new gallery page. 3. Add a photo gallery from the multimedia section of the Elements tab. a. Upload the images you want to have in your gallery. b. Customize the images as you like. 4. Add a new page for videos from the pages tab. 5. Make the video page a sub-page of the gallery page by dragging it to the right on the pages tab. 6. Order your video page by adding a columns layout. 7. Add videos to the video page using either of two ways. Youtube Custom HTML
Weebly Site Builder Tutorial and Walkthrough Part 3
Now that you have multimedia components to enhance your content, you may wish to make your website more user-friendly with interactive features for visitors.
This tutorial will provide you with an example of how to add various features to your Weebly website. Keep in mind that this is just an example, and you are free to design your site however you see fit. If you would like more in-depth instructions on a particular task, click on any of the links below to learn more.
1. Add a new page for your contact form. 2. Once the page is created, use the multiple columns layout to create two columns on the page. 3. In the left column, drag and drop a Paragraph with Title from the Elements tab to provide some descriptive text for your form. 4. Below the paragraph you just created, add a contact form. 5. In the right column, add a picture to make the page more attractive. 6. Below the picture, add a map so that visitors can see your location.
Advanced Settings and Premium Features in Weebly
Its easy to build a fully functional website with Weebly; however, if you really want your website to pop, you may wish to consider upgrading to Weebly Premium. If you wish to sell products on your website, you will need to purchase the E-commerce package.
Here are some of the things you can do with Weebly’s advanced settings and premium features:
On the pages tab for each page, you will be able to access Advanced Settings, allowing you to:
Edit header and footer information for that page Edit metadata for SEO Settings tab Edit website title and footer information. SEO settings Site description Keywords Google Analytics integration
Our premium features will be coming soon! You can get a sneak peak of what is available by watching the video above.